Thursday, January 12

Dentist

Perfect example of what life is like with more than a handful of kids --- having a broken tooth for years and not 'finding' the time to get it fixed (okay, maybe also the fact that I really hate the dentist office)

Long Story --- a few pregnancies back I broke my back molar. It wasn't painful but I knew I should have it looked at so I headed to the dentist at the next available appointment they had. He said that I was lucky because the tooth could still be saved and it otherwise looked fine. However there were two problems with getting it fixed 1- I was experiencing morning sickness from different smells (it wasn't bad, but if the smell stuck around I felt like my stomach had been turned inside out - there was no way I could sit in the chair and have work done without gagging) and 2. the most important thing - I was pregnant and some of that crap they use is not in any way good for you let alone a baby on board. My dentist agreed that the work should not be done while pregnant unless it started to cause pain.

Well three babies later and the work had yet to be done until this morning. (I had broken the tooth a little more but otherwise it was still in good shape for being broken --- my dentist says breaking it has something to do with being so sick in high school and being pregnant so many times so close together that it can deplete your teeth, imagine that - lol.)

Maybe I was using the kids as an excuse or maybe I have been really busy, and its hard to find someone to watch five kids so I can go to the dentist. I mean really, would I rather have a babysitter so I could go spend a few hours and a couple hundred bucks at the dentist - or - would I rather have a babysitter so I could go on an awesome date and buy an awesome new outfit for the hot date night? yeah, if we can find a sitter we surely would go with the date night.

Back to it - yesterday Jon called me very up beat and was proud to tell me that he had made me a dentist appointment (we had been talking about making the appointment while family was in town so we wouldn't need to find a sitter yet some how I 'forgot' to make the appointment) I braced myself for the news of the appointment thinking it would be when my parents are out in two weeks - oh no, nope, not even close - the appointment was for 7am this morning. Who goes to the dentist at 7am, I mean really people, that's horribly early to be out having people poke around your mouth. Not to mention all that numbing stuff always last far too long on me so now its 2:00pm and I'm just now starting to feel my lips again.

They always say that Moms take care of themselves last, which is so true. However maybe I could have had this tooth fixed in between the last few pregnancies, but every once in the while using the kids as an excuse for my benefit works out well

No comments: