Tuesday, December 27

Mary, Did You Know?

Last week I posted my favorite lyrics from my favorite Christmas song on facebook - Mary, Did You Know? it really moves me every time I hear it, so I wanted to take a moment to post it and reflect. (I wish a strong female vocalist would record this song)

Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy would one day walk on water?

Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy would save our sons and daughters?
Did you know
that your Baby Boy has come to make you new?
This Child that you delivered will soon deliver you.

Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy will give sight to a blind man?
Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy will calm the storm with His hand?
Did you know
that your Baby Boy has walked where angels trod?
When you kiss your little Baby you kissed the face of God?



I had heard this song several times (many times) over the years, but it wasn't until being a Mom that it really set in for me. Actually it probably wasn't until last Christmas when baby 5 - Graesynn - was a newborn, and I had been reading Beth Moore's daily devotional about Jesus (reading it while pregnant really creates a deep sort of connection to Mary) and then I played this song over and over (Clay Aikens version is my favorite).



My two favorite lines are the ones in bold above. They always give me chills. I have so many questions for Mary, so much gratitude and amazement for her. All five of my pregnancies would be labeled as easy non risky. I had four hospital births and one home birth from the comfort of my bedroom... it makes me think of Mary, giving birth from the 'comfort' of a stable. Think about it - is there such a thing as a comfortable stable birth? We see all the beautiful nativity sets, or church programs featuring Mary and Baby Jesus - but do we really think about giving birth on the hard cold stable floors, and that it was a  young virgin birth to our Lord Jesus Christ?! I am left amazed by her and so thankful. As a Mom she leaves me speechless (that is until I find my thoughts enough to ask her all these questions in the song and more) 

During the Christmas season I often find myself mid-kiss with one of my little ones when I think about Mary and baby Jesus. Jesus is the reason for the season, let us not forget our Savior, His birth, His life, His death, and His resurrection. 

No comments: